The play kitchen I made for my daughter. I have no prior experience, so if I can do it anyone can.
I made the frame by adapting an Ikea, Vika Furusund. I had to drill some new holes to fit the unit together and I trimmed a few inches from the fridge door. Everything was assembled using wood glue, finishing nails and screws. The hardest part was installing the hinges. That was trial and error. Well everything was trial and error. The kitchen dimensions are 27″ wide X 22″ tall X 10″ deep. This is how I did it:
4 boards, 22″ X 10″ frame of the kitchen
1 board 20″ X 10″ fridge door
1 board 10″ X 9″ fridge shelf
1 MDF board, 15″ X 3″ small shelf
1/4″ backer board, 27″ X 32″
1 board, 15″ X 13″ oven door
1 board, 15″ X 10″ oven base
1 piece 2 1/4 inch window casing trim, this makes the apron, one day I will put the oven knobs on
Frame of Unit – Vika furusund, Ikea
Handles – Glitter, Ikea
Knife Rack – Astker, Ikea
Magnetic Containers – Grundtal, Ikea
Plexy glass – Home Depot
Paint – Home Depot
Hinges – Home Depot
Dowels and Caps – Michaels Crafts
The burners are coasters – Home Outfitters
Cup hooks – Home Depot
Puck light – Sylvania
Fabric swatch – Sandi Henderson, Petal Party
Sink – Cake Tin, Save on Foods
Tea Set – The Princess and the Pea, Edmonton
I used scraps from Home Depot, they cut them to the dimensions I needed in the store. They were very helpful.
I made the faucet with a 1 and 1/2 inch dowel, the smaller dowel sticking out is 5/8th inch. I drilled a hole into larger dowel and inserted the small dowel. The ‘taps’ are the 1 1/2 inch dowel cut down to 2″. I glued dowel caps on top for a clean finish.
Now all I need to do is make knobs for the controls.
This is what the Ikea piece should have looked like.
My daughter loves to remove the burners, glad I didn’t glue them on.
It was really important that the oven door be safe, so I added a lid catch to keep it from falling open. I also added a puck light inside the oven.
The magnetic knife rack.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- What’s cooking? | Quality Furniture pingbacked on 7 years, 9 months ago
- IKEA Denver Home Furnishings · IKEA Denver pingbacked on 7 years, 9 months ago
- Kinderküche : Butterflyfish pingbacked on 7 years, 9 months ago
- What’s cooking? « tissue paper pingbacked on 7 years, 9 months ago
- I 5 migliori link per costruire una cucina giocattolo faidate : Mamma Felice pingbacked on 7 years, 8 months ago
- Playtime: child’s table and chair makeover | Florence Firenze pingbacked on 7 years, 7 months ago
- Bambino Goodies » Great Ikea Hack: Build your own pretend play kitchen from Vika Furusund pingbacked on 7 years, 2 months ago
- IKEA Play Kitchens - AWESOME IKEA Hacks Inside! » IKEA FANS | THE IKEA Fan Community pingbacked on 6 years, 10 months ago
- Let’s Get Cooking … » pingbacked on 6 years, 5 months ago
- Let’s Get Cooking … Take 2 » Two Little Dicky Birds.html pingbacked on 6 years, 4 months ago
- What’s cooking? | Decoration and furniture ideas pingbacked on 5 years, 11 months ago
- What’s cooking? | Miami Landscape Gardening - All Construction News pingbacked on 5 years, 9 months ago
- Play Kitchens For Girls – What Else You Need to Know » Martina Dotson pingbacked on 5 years, 9 months ago
- get traffic travis 4 pro pingbacked on 5 years, 7 months ago
- A critical appraisal of my major works to date « Dilly Tante pingbacked on 5 years, 4 months ago
- Play Kitchen Inspiration | Boulder Moms Connect pingbacked on 5 years, 3 months ago
- Ikea Hack Inspired Play Kitchen « The Laundry List pingbacked on 5 years ago